|Gajar ka Halwa Recipe|
Gajar ka Halwa Recipe- Popular as gajrela or gajorer halwa, is a sweet dessert pudding originating from the Indian subcontinent, associated mainly with the North India, Bangladesh and Pakistan. It is the most favorite sweet dish of every North Indian family, specially in winters. Though it is the traditional dish,yet it is loved by all generations.
Here, gajar ka halwa is prepared traditionally with red juicy carrots cooked in milk and blended into milk cream (malai) or mawa/khoya (optional). But to cut on time, you can also try other version for Quick recipe using Condensed milk.
Carrots-1 kg or 4 cups of grated carrot
Milk-250 ml or 1 cup
Sugar-100 gm or 1/2 cup
Milk cream (malai) or Mawa (Khoya)-5 to 6 table spoon
Ghee-3-4 table spoon
Dry fruits (cashews, raisins, almonds, pistachio)-10 to 12 pc each
- Take red juicy carrots and peel off and wash them in running water to remove all the dust.
- Grate the carrots either manually or using food processor.
- Heat ghee at low flame in an open karahi or thick bottom pan.
- Add grated carrots to the kadai and stirr at low flame till carrots start changing colour.
- Now add milk to the karahi and let it cook at low flame. Stir occasionally to avoid burning smell from the dish.
- This process will take time until milk gets reduced and blends completely into cooked grated carrots.
- When carrots seems cooked and blends in milk, add malai or mawa. Mix well.
- Now add sugar, dry fruits and mix well to give a smooth consistency to the dish.
- Keep stiring until all milk gets evaporated and the halwa gets slightly thick.
- Gajar ka halwa is ready to be served hot decorated with chopped dry fruits or plain depending on your choice. (My daughter loves without dry fruits.)