| Gujia Recipe |
Maida- 1/2 kg
Suji- 1/4 kg
Sugar- 1/4 kg
Salt- 1/4 tea spoon
Baking Powder-1 table spoon
Dry coconut- 1 medium pc
Raisins- 20 to 25 pc
Dry fruits- 20 to 25 pc (Almonds, cashews, pistachio,etc)
Ghee- 4 to 5 table spoon
Oil- to fry
For making dough:
- Sieve maida in the open plate. Add salt and baking powder to the maida and mix well. Now add 1/2 cup (approx. 10 table spoons) of oil to the dry ingredients. Rub with hands to mix oil in all the maida.
- Knead the maida dough by adding little water at a time. Dough should be hard as it gets softer later.
- Cover the dough with cotton cloth and leave it for half an hour.
For making stuffing:
- Chop all the dry fruits and shred dry coconut finely.
- Meanwhile heat ghee in a karahi, add suji and roast at low flame for a minute.
- Add sugar while continuously stirring suji at medium flame. Once suji starts leaving aroma and colour changes to light brown, add all dry fruits and shredded coconut.
- Close the flame and mix the filling well and keep a side to let it cool.
For assembling gujia:
- Knead the dough again for a while to give it a smooth texture and divide it into small balls.
- Take a small ball size dough and make a puri size chapati. Chapati should not be very thin or thick.
- Place the chapati on to the gujia cutter and put a spoon of suji stuffing at the center of chapati leaving the edges empty. You can also use your hands and fingers to design the gujias to avoid using cutter.
- Now using your fingers, apply little water at the edges of chapati and join both the edges to close the gujia. Seal the edges. remove the extra dough from sides.
- Be very attentive while sealing the gujia, as the stuffing may come out while frying if not properly sealed. Prepare all gujias in the same way.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan or a karahi. Once the oil is heated, test it so that it should not be very cold or very hot.
- Now slowly add 4 to 5 gujias into the oil for frying. Fry at low medium flame from both sides.
- When fried, drain on a paper to remove extra oil and store in an air tight container once they get cool.
- Serve the gujia to your family and friends as and when required.