Idli Recipe – Idli is a traditional breakfast in South Indian households. It is a savoury cake that is popular throughout India and neighboring countries like Sri Lanka. The cakes are usually four to five inches in diameter and are made by steaming a batter consisting of urad dal and rice or Suji(rawa) for its instant idli version. It tastes best with Sambhar or it can be made for a starter dish as Chili idli.
Urad dhuli dal-1/2 cup
Baking powder-3 spoons
Water- for soaking
Salt- to taste
- Soak rice and dal in water for 4 hours.
- Drain the water and make a smooth batter using grinder.
- Keep the batter for fermenting overnight at a warm place.
- Next morning put salt and baking powder in the batter and mix it well.
- Put 1 spoon of batter in each greesed idli mould.
- Place the moulds in steamer and cook for 15-20 minutes.
- De-mould the idlis and serve with nariyal chutni and sambhar.