|Pav Bhaji Recipe|
Pav Bhaji Recipe-This is a popular and favorite snack in Maharashtra. It is a combination of thick vegetable curry served with bread roll. Curry is prepared using variety of vegetables (any seasonal vegetables can be used) cooked in butter. Also pav is roasted in butter and served with lemon, onion and some green chutney.
Pav bhaji has many variations in ingredients and garnishes, but is essentially a spiced mixture of mashed vegetables in a thick gravy cooked on a flat griddle (tava) served hot with a buttered soft white bread roll. This recipe is so popular in Mumbai that you can find it easily even at streets. I make this recipe very often as it is quick, easy and light for breakfast or evening snack.
So you can give it a try and enjoy.
Potato- 1 big pc
Cauliflower- 1/2 bunch
Carrot-2 to 3 pc
Onion- 2 big pc
Ginger-1 inch stem
Garlic-3 to 4 pc
Red chilly powder-1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder-1 tea spoon
Coriander powder-1 tea spoon
Garam masala-1 tea spoon
Pav bhaji masala-1 tea spoon
Green chilly-2 to 3 pc
Pav(Buns)-3 to 4
- Peel and wash all the vegetables. Roughly chop potato, cauliflower, cabbage and carrot. Chop finely onion, ginger, garlic and tomato.
- Heat a spoon of butter in a pressure cooker, add ginger, garlic and cook til it gets brown. Add onion and cook for a while.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and cook till it gets soft.
- Now add all the veggies and season with salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder, garam masala and coriander powder. Mix well and cook for 2 to 3 whistles.
- Remove all the steam and add pav bhaji masala. Mash the vegetables using a ladle or hand blender. Don’t over mash the bhaji, keep it roughly mashed.
- Transfer the bhaji to serving dish and squeeze half lemon over it. Garnish using onion rings, green chilly and lemon.
- Cut the pav from center and roast it on flat pan. Apply butter on the both sides of pav.
- Serve the hot Pav Bhaji with chutney, achhar or just as it is.