| Sookhi Urad Dal | Dry Urad Dal Recipe |
Sookhi Urad Dal | Dry Urad Dal Recipe- Punjabi recipe for Sookhi Urad Dal | Dry Urad Dal is a Punjabi style lentil dish made with skinned urad dal and lot of Indian spices. Urad dal is very easy to make and delicious. Sukhi urad dal is a very good tiffin option where in you can pack in some protein without making a messy affair. It is well served with chapati, parantha or naan.
Skinned Urad Dal- 1 cup
Onion- 2 medium pc
Tomato- 2 medium pc
Fresh Green Coriander- 1/2 bunch
Ginger- 1 inch stem
green chilies- 4 to 5 pc
Red chill powder- 1 tea spoon
Cumin seeds- 1 tea spoon
Garam masala- 1 tea spoon
Turmeric powder-1 tea spoon
Amchur powder-1 tea spoon
Coriander powder- 1 tea spoon
Salt- to taste
Oil -2 table spoon
- Wash and soak dal for 10 minutes before cooking. Wash and chop the onions, ginger, green chilies, tomatoes and coriander leaves separately.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds to crack. Add chopped ginger and let it turn brown.
- Add chopped onion and green chilies. Cook at medium flame till it turns to light pink.
- Now add chopped tomatoes and season with salt, chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and turmeric powder. Cook the masala until tomatoes get soft.
- Transfer the soaked dal to the cooker and mix into the masala.
- Add 3 cups of water, mix well and close the lid. Cook for 3 whistles and close the flame.
- Let the steam evaporate at its own and then open the lid. Add chopped coriander leaves and mix to the ready dal.
- Transfer the hot dal to the serving dish and garnish using coriander leaves before serving.